Thursday, May 26, 2016

"Mother Teresa" of Cannabis ~ Valerie Leveroni Corral

Valerie Leveroni Corral is a true pioneer and an inspiration. Her soft and gentle Spirit is reminiscent of Mother Teresa's. I was blessed with the opportunity to meet her in 2014 at the 8th Clinical Conference on Cannabis therapeutics in Portland and hear her speak on using cannabis with those who are dying, to help alleviate their symptoms and throughout their dying process. This was a short 4 months after my own dad died of Stage IV lung Cancer. Sadly, because of the illicit nature of cannabis, I wasn't able to utilize this treatment option with him as he would not consider becoming a criminal. Valerie ignited a fire in my heart to make medical cannabis available to dying patients in Florida. 

We need to remove cannabis from Schedule I altogether. Let's stop messing around, let's allow people the right to take charge of their own wellbeing, especially at the end of life when people are most vulnerable. Cannabis promotes eating, sleeping, relaxing, protecting and forgetting. Anyone who has ever worked with those who are dying or had the honor of sitting with someone as they transitioned from this life on, knows the exquisite gift these 5 functions could play in alleviating common symptoms of the dying process. 

Cannabis can facilitate a deep connection between the Mind, the Body, the Spirit and Community. The goal of end of life care should always be to promote a peaceful environment as well as to provide comfort care. Let's stop making people criminals at the end of their life, these folks have enough heavy shit they're already dealing with. Cannabis does NOT meet the criteria of a Schedule I drug.

In 2016, the Florida Legislature passed the Medical Cannabis Act which expands the "Right to Try" law. This expands existing law to include full spectrum, whole plant cannabis as a legal option for those who have been determined to have one year or less to live. 


I consider that a significant advancement! I know we have a long way to go, but let's remember how far we've come. I invite you to read about the awe inspiring work that Valerie, who has been called the Mother Teresa of Cannabis has done.

Thanks Val, your work has quite literally changed my life. I pray that you are well and I will continue to send Blessings your way...

I invite you to read about the awe inspiring work that Valerie, who has been called the Mother Teresa of Cannabis has done.

http://sfevergreen.com/marijuanas-mother-teresa/

No comments:

Post a Comment